News


Garden Hazards and Your Pets

by admin on April 11th, 2012

Category: News, Tags:

It’s lovely to be out and about in the garden now spring has arrived, but beware of unwittingly introducing hazards to your pets as some of the plants and products we commonly use in our garden can be very toxic to animals.

Slug pellets commonly contain the chemical metaldehyde and are generally blue or green in colour. Metaldehyde  is very toxic to pets and since many dogs will eat almost anything, slug pellets should only be used with great care, keeping pets away from areas where they are used and stored.

 

Spring bulbs are another seasonal hazard and can be fatal if dug up and eaten by your pets. Tulips and daffodils are toxic to dogs and cats; although all parts of the plant are toxic, it is the bulbs that actually contain the most toxins.

Lilies are also very toxic to cats and pose a hazard in the garden and also as cuts flowers. As a general rule, when adding anything to your garden, ALWAYS read the label regarding any potential hazards that may be relevant to your pet.

 

 

Rabbits are very sociable and inquisitive animals by nature. Care must be taken when pet rabbits are free roaming in the garden that they are kept away from any potentially hazardous flowers, plants or shrubs. It’s also advised that they are supervised at all times.

For a comprehensive list of all poisonous plants that could harm your rabbit please visit http://adoptarabbit.org/articles/toxic.html

 

 

Comments Off